Here is a 9 steps process to create a “competition-crushing” message with a compelling offer…This applies to any letter, email, flyer or promotion.
The offer should be an incentive offer if they are ready to buy now. Alternatively if they are future buyers who are still on what we call their “buyer’s journey” you should have an information offer.
97% plus of prospects are future buyers with three main exceptions: every day items, emergency buys and impulse buys.
1. Open with an attention-grabbing, interrupting headline or opening paragraph focused on a problem, fear, frustration or concern. This is the most important part of your communication. People are motivated by loss and by gain. However, the loss weighs 2.5 times as heavily as any gain. That is built into human psychology. Also, if you highlight pain, there is more urgency to act to get rid of it than if you focus on gain.
2. Engage by promising a solution to the problem you highlighted in your opener. (Focus on the benefits and the likely outcome they will experience). People spend most of their time on “auto pilot”. You awake them out of this “trance” with your interrupt headline, but if you don’t now engage with them they’ll switch off again.
3. Give them a reason to purchase, or offer them information to help them in their buying process. They need evidence of the benefits to them. They also need evidence to overcome their objections and to help them decide on supplier, (once they are ready to buy).
4. Tell them exactly what you will do to help them gain the benefits. Be specific.
5. Be specific about the actions they will take to get these benefits. According to Dan Kennedy, the leading direct marketing expert, it’s almost impossible to be too specific in spelling the exact steps they need to follow. And those steps need to be as absolutely simple as you can possibly make them.
6. Offer them a compelling bonus or some form of additional incentive (when practical), or give them a scarcity reason why they have to act now. Otherwise they’ll put this off and never get round to doing it later. You either offer information if dealing with”Ffuture Buyers”, or a bonus of some sort if they are “Now Buyers”. Your bonus should be extra value rather than a reduction in your price.
7. Reverse their potential risk using powerful guarantees.
8. Give them social proof of who else has benefited from this. Testimonials are ideal for this purpose.
9. End with a PS (use it to restate the benefits). This is the second most important bit of any letter or email.
Follow these nine steps when delivering any form of message and that message will compel your prospects to take immediate action.
** For a FREE Compelling Message Template Email email@example.com **